Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Self Reliance Ethan

Huck in Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn does act like the characters in Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Self Reliance" that we discussed in class. I feel like Huck does a lot of things for himself or pointing towards himself. Huck sort of sounds like my quote I picked. I forgot my paper that has my quote on it in the class room, but I do remember it saying that no one knows what exactly happened to you until they did exactly what you did. How this connects to Huck in the story I think is the scene where he was on the boat with the murders or robbers and interacted with them. Talking to others now scared or friended he was, no one else would know exactly how he was feeling unless he was right next to him during this scene. 

1 comment:

  1. Ethan, you picked a really interesting part of Huck Finn. Huck decides to help the one man that the two rogues are going to kill. There are so many moments in this book where the unexpected happens. It is just like you pointed out in connecting Emerson and Huck Finn that until we really endure the pressures of a test, we have no idea what we will do.

    ReplyDelete